Monday, May 3, 2010

Cubby Makeover

I got this cubby thing (I have no idea what to call it!) about 7 years ago from Denio's and knew right away I would be painting it.


I painted it green (my fave color) right when I got home. I didn't even put primer on it 'cause I'm just that impatient. Over the years though, I really started disliking the shade of green because it had a blue undertone, so I decided to remove the black stand it was on and paint it. I used my usual Lucky Bamboo by Behr and things were going great...until little pieces of paint started flaking off. And that, boys and girls, is exactly why you should use primer! I had to scrape all the paint off so I could start from scratch. When I got it back down to the wood, I started kinda liking that look, but it's just a veneer and it started chipping. Back to Plan A: Paint.

After I primed and painted, it looked like this.


Then I used Minwax Early American stain. You can tell the drawer on the right has the stain and the one on the left doesn't.


Wow, please excuse the photos! It's so hard to capture the color green on a camera!
I finally got around to polyurethaning it this weekend and I love how it turned out.


Had to add a pretty flower to the mix!


I kinda feel like it's missing something though. I was thinking new knobs, but unfortunately the current ones were glued on, not screwed, so I'm thinking they might be hard to remove. I thought about painting them, but wasn't crazy about that either. What I really want to do is get some cute label holders (like the kind used for scrapbooking), but I haven't been able to find exactly what I want. I'm sure you'll be seeing an update on this piece in the future!

I'm linking up to these parties

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

All Thingz Related

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the color! It turned out great!
Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!
{Rebekah}

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Isn't it amazing how the stain took the paint color to a whole new level...so much more depth in the color. Very attractive project.
Hope you can visit at Modern Craftswomen Monday.
Rory

Funky Junk Interiors said...

The stain really made the piece! I love how glazes just tone it all down. It's lovely!

Lemme know if you want a few extra (ahem cough cough) decaled labels you can tie on with twine I owe you. I can always make extra. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

{oc cottage} said...

Love this!

m ^..^

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

Ali... love the green with the stain... turned out great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails