Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just Another Picture Frame

I got this picture frame from a local thrift store for $2 buckaroos.


Instead of glass, it had some weird plexi glass type of insert that slid into the back. Kinda hard to explain, but it's not your typical picture frame where you bend the notches to get the glass in.

I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but figured it would come to me, so I primed it...and nothing came to me. I was thinking I would paint it the same color as my starfish picture frames then attach some knobs and turn it into a tray, but really, I already have tons of trays.  I finally decided to do the same thing I did for these frames. In case you don't feel like checking out that post, I painted the frames green and used a beach mat for the background. The beach mat was bought at a thrift store for $1.

I just have to show the picture below because I had one of those 'Duh!' moments. I actually thought I would be able to use spray adhesive to attach the plexi glass to the beach mat.


After coming to the sad realization that that wouldn't work, I cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the plexi glass and I used that to glue the beach mat to.


Would you believe I almost called it a day at this point?? After another 'Duh!' moment, I realized I forgot the stain! So out came my Minwax Early American.

I knew exactly what picture I was gonna put in the frame. I had just received a canvas I got of Elijah riding a giraffe at The Sacramento Zoo from canvaspeople.com. They have specials quite frequently where you can get a free (yes, FREE!) 8x10 canvas. You just have to pay the $15 S&H.


And here's a closeup just because he's so adorable and deserves it! =)






Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
 
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/


5 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sooooo CUTE and Thrifty...hop over and show it and your darling little off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see you there:)

Blessings,
Linda

Jenn said...

This is so presh! I'm totally checking out canvaspeople!

Vintage Remixed said...

Ali that looks fab-- dahling!!! Did I ever send you your graphic? It has been a hectic weekend and I'm losing it. No, wait... you have to have it to lose it right? :-) Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Samantha2818 said...

This looks great - and what a cute little man you have (riding on my favourite animal)!
~Sam

cheavy said...

these frames are well and we love to read this post.
thanks
digital art

Related Posts with Thumbnails